There's something to be said for deriving happiness from small things. Peanut butter and honey sammiches. Gel pens. Soft fuzzy blankets.
A big part of what I’m doing this summer is working in one of the microbiology labs here on campus. I’m isolating and identifying a group of bacteria from fecal samples taken from autistic children. Ours come from another lab in Chicago.
My grad student mentioned that we needed some control samples from healthy individuals to compare to the current samples. At first I started thinking about where to order said material… but then I realized: the tone of her voice was unmistakable.
I guess I’m providing some samples.
Greetings faithful blog reader. Today we have a special offer just for you. You may cut out this special offer and carry it with you wherever you go as a souvenir. Or you can give it up in exchange for foods… it’s your choice. Empowerment!
Yes yes, I am a terrible blogger when things get busy. Rather than try to fit everything into a post, I will take the Sam way out and make a list. You like lists, yes? Oh, you are still too busy printing and cutting out your coupon. Feel free to make some for friends too… one per customer though.
See, here is a list. Remember, you like lists! Okay, pay attention to the list instead of the coupon for a second. Coupon will still be there when you are done. Coupon does not expire for a long time. Coupon has no cash value. PUT THE COUPON DOWN ALREADY I’M WRITING D:
- I update my Twitter more often than my blog, recently. It’s what appears on the stickynote at the top of the blog when I’m not at something that’s scheduled on my calendar.
- I am a summer RA at OU over the summer. I don’t have to pay for housing or classes, and I’m getting in more volunteer hours at the hospital and lab hours for my major. Plus, I’m getting a nasty class— Quantitative Chemical Analysis— out of the way in June and July.
- My new room is very tiny, and it is not three rooms. This is distressing as I am used to three rooms, and my own bathroom. I like not having to wear clothes to go to the shower I just like not having to wear clothes.
- The lack of cafeteria over the summer sends me foraging out into the wild for food. My diet is not particularly healthy at the moment. There’s a lot of ramen, Easy Mac, and peanut butter involved. Sam convinces me to go out to eat occasionally.
- I enjoy finding coupons and going to Wal-Mart and getting things for cheap and free. I get laughed at by various friends, who call me a “housewife with my little envelope of coupons”. I just laugh at them as I buy 300 frozen pizzas for eleven dollars and then make the store pay me 18 cents to take their cereal off their hands.
- FatWallet sent me a t-shirt and some Silly Thinking Putty for linking them on my blog awhile back. I wasn’t even trying to shill for them; they just post fun deals ^_^
- I am still working out five days a week on the same workout plan, with my ever-wonderful friend Val. Having a workout buddy is all that keeps me from just smashing the alarm with the nearest large object and hiding in bed for another hour.
- I wish people would come visit. I promise to feed you and give you a reasonably soft place to sleep.
- I like having something to do over the summer instead of wasting away bored!