My stocks hit their highest today since I’ve owned them. I sat down and figured out how much money I would have made depending on how I let it work over the last 2 months.
- Keeping my money in a checking account would have earned me $10 in interest.
- Keeping my money in a savings account would have earned me $35 in interest.
- Putting the money in the money market was a better option, earning a theoretical $100 in interest.
- Using Spyders (ticker: SPDR), which are an index to the S&P 500, is a very safe option, because in the long run the market does go up. Spyders would have earned $240.
- My stock picks so far have earned $427
The stock market isn’t as scary or intimidating, or even as foreign, as it once was, with the advent of electronic trading and discount brokerages. If you have money just lying around, it couldn’t hurt to put it in a value stock with slow but good returns!